Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
You don’t need a slow cooker to slow cook, so simmer this on the hob or in the oven if you have a lidded casserole-dish (or tin-foil to cover). I ususally put this on at lunch time when I’m working from home.
You can serve this with mexican rice, or of course, with corn tortillas and the usual mexican fayre. Your guests can help themselves and it’s a social one to serve when you’ve got mates piling in.
This freezes well so any leftovers just portion up into plastic take-away pots (with leftover rice). In the past I have done this and eaten just one portion for myself and portioned this up to take to work. I grab it out the freezer as I leave in the morning and by kunchtime it just needa a few minutes on high in the office microwave.
Mouths: feeds 3-4
Time to make: 3 hr (oven) / 6-8 hrs slow-cooker
- 1 x 500g pack of mince beef / sstewing steak
- 1 x medium onion
- 4 x garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 x tbsp ground cumin
- 1 x tbsp chilli powder
- 1 x chicken stock cube
- 6 tbsp lime juice
- You can slow cook this on the hob in an hour and a half on a low heat but it’s not the same.
- Take your beef out the fridge and turn your slow cooker on slow (or turn your oven to 140°C)
- Peel and dice the onion and throw it in the pan.
- Take the garlic, crush it under your knife and (if you’re not using frozen garlic) dice it up a little. Add it to the onion.
- Throw in your beef. If your’re using mince beef separate it as you add it .
- Add your herbs, the stock cube and the lime juice.
- Stir it up and leave it to cook on low. Stir well halfway through and leave till it’s ready.
- If you’ve used steak chunks use two forks to shred it.