Well. This isn’t really a fried rice – you won’t need to touch the frying pan – but it’s such an easy thing to throw together on a Monday night after the gym when you just can’t be bothered to ‘cook’. Five minutes! This is a handy way to use leftover rice from last night’s takeaway. Double the quantity if you have a hungry friend who’s dropped by. If you want to save on the dishes just eat this straight out of the bowl you use to mix it up with.
Time to make: 5 minutes
Mouths: feeds 1
- 1 x 2506 packet of brown basmati rice (white rice is okay but the wholegrain has a great nutty taste)
- 6 x seafood sticks
- A handful of spring onions / scallions (or fresh chives)
- A glug of chilli oil
- (Optional) 1 x teaspoon Sesame oil (if you want a Chinese flavour use this)
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- A mixing bowl or something of that size (like a saucepan)
- A chopping board
- A sharp knife
- a large spoon
- Pasta bowl or just a plate
- Take your rice pouch and tear a little opening in the corner. Put it into the microwave on high as suggested by the packet (2 mins normally)
- Take your seafood sticks out of their little wrapping and line them all up on your chopping board. Slice them all down so you have little cubes. Drop these into you mixing bowl.
- Take hold of those spring onions at their white end and carefully cut small strips off the green end. You need a handful. Throw these into the mixing bowl.
- Your rice should be ready now. Carefully take it out and pour the rice on top of the other ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Add a drizzle of you oil/s, a pinch of salt and pepper and now stir well with a large spoon.
- (Optional) Slice up a pickled egg and layer on top for a vinegary zing! Here’s our pickled egg recipe link.